Let's yap about thoughtful neighbors.
But first... you HAVE to make this watermelon summer salad. The salty feta is a tasty contrast to the sweet fruit. Pickled onions add a nice tang, and a light drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette marries all the flavors nicely.
It's incredible - just like great neighbors.
When we bought our house, we had no idea if the neighbors were fun, helpful, kind, weird, fuss budgets, or nebby (Pittsburghese for nosey). I think a lot of people choose a house, move in, and THEN learn about the people who live around them. It's a gamble.
We found a terrific house in horrendous condition on a beautiful street. We thought we hit the jackpot when our offer was accepted, but we had no idea at that time just how incredibly lucky we were. Our neighbors ROCK. The whole street is pretty great, but we really struck gold with the next-door neighbors on each side.
One day the doorbell rang, and my neighbor on the right brought me a bowl of watermelon, feta, & mint. It was freaking delicious!
There's nothing more refreshing on a hot day. Well, except if you have a pool. Then there's nothing better than eating this by the pool, you lucky duck.
other salad fixins
- 1 small watermelon about 3 pounds, cubed
- 3 heads romaine lettuce hearts chopped
- 8 ounces feta cheese preferably in brine
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves removed from stems and chopped
- Stir together vinegar, water, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Submerge onion, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. These can be made well in advance. Covered and refrigerated, pickled onions will stay good for two weeks. Use them on everything.
the other salad fixins
- Toss chopped romaine with the chopped mint. Divide equally among four plates. Top each with a small nest of onions, watermelon cubes, blueberries, and finish with crumbled feta.Alternatively, layer ingredients (by halves or thirds) in large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and serve. Add grilled chicken to make it a meal!
- This recipe makes 6 dinner salads or 12 side salads.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission when you click a link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Yappy Kitchen!
PRO TIP: How to cut a watermelon into cubes: