This Mediterranean pasta salad with sun-dried tomato dressing is the perfect balance between veggies and carbs. In a sea of macaroni salad recipes with mayo, this bowtie pasta salad stands out.
A bow tie pasta salad is exceptionally attractive. Elbow macaroni is typical; it's expected. A pasta salad dressed with mayo is also fairly common.
However... when you make a pasta salad with bow ties and bright, colorful vegetables, it brings a pop of color to any buffet. People go for it!
This dish has few stellar things going for it:
- It's lighter than the typical mayonnaise-based pasta salads.
- You get fresh, bright flavor in this vegan greek pasta salad.
- Vegan means this pasta salad is dairy free!
- The fresh vegetables, tangy sun-dried tomatoes, and briny olives & capers are a beautiful blend of flavors against the bowtie background.
- One serving is generous and only a smidgen over 200 calories without the feta (as shown in the photo).
- The dressing is made with sun dried tomatoes, so all the flavor is there without the chewiness.
Super easy to make, this mediterranean pasta salad with sun dried tomato dressing is one you'll want on the buffet!
Mediterrananen pasta salad stores well in the refrigerator for up to five days. It is absolutely best served the same day it is made. It's still good, but the fresh spinach tends to wilt in the dressing when refrigerated overnight.
These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing. Always serve this pasta salad fresh.
- 1 pound farfalle pasta cook al dente in salted water
- 12 ounces grape tomatoes quartered (12 ounces = 2 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 5 ounces Kalamata olives pitted and diced (5 ounces = 1 cup)
SUN DRIED TOMATO DRESSING
- 8 ounces sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil chopped fine; keep oil for dressing
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ONLY ADD IF YOU DON'T USE OIL FROM TOMATOES
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces feta cheese omit for vegan and dairy free
- 2 tablespoons fresh italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Place the pasta in a bowl and add the remaining salad ingredients.
- For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.Alternately, you can finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes and capers (or leave capers whole), then whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with crumbled feta and parsley, and toss well.
- Refrigerate a couple hours to let flavors meld. Before serving, sprinkle with crumbled feta and parsley, and toss well.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission when you click a link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Yappy Kitchen!
When serving pasta salads, they usually taste the best at room temperature or slightly colder. HOWEVER, always be mindful of food safety!
Cooked food should never stay at room temperature for more than TWO HOURS.