Let's yap about colorful and healthy food.
We took this salad to our friend's annual holiday party last year. I second-guessed taking a summery salad to a party in the middle of December. But it's what I was craving. It didn't take but a minute to rationalize that the red, white, and green made it festive and, therefore, extremely holiday appropriate. And so I went with it.
For all the chopping, this is my go-to knife. It's light weight and has a soft, comfortable handle. In fact, it's by far my very favorite and least expensive chef knife. I had purchased yellow and green when I had my catering and personal chef business, but they also come in black, blue, brown, purple, red, and white! Those two Santoku knives are among the few items from the business that now reside in my tiny home kitchen. That's how much I love them!
Salad and kalamata vinaigrette in tow, off we went to the party. We walked into the house, and I shook off another round of doubts when I set it among the heavy comfort foods and sugary desserts. But people loved it. It was a hit! And when I ate it in the dead of winter that night, it really hit the spot.
The takeaway: Be brave. Be you. Follow your salad vibe.
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts chopped
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 English cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion sliced thin
- 32 kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled (omit for dairy free and vegan)
- 2 tablespoons fresh italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 servings kalamata vinaigrette (link below)
- Prepare Kalamata Vinaigrette dressing. Set aside.
- Layer half of the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, olives, parsley, mint, and the feta to a large bowl; sprinkle with half the lemon juice. Then layer on the other half of the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, olives parsley, mint, and feta; sprinkle with other half of lemon juice.
- Serve with kalamata dressing on the side or drizzle with dressing and gently toss right before serving.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission when you click a link and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Yappy Kitchen!